W. Hunter Old, Esq.
Direct Line: (757) 772-6802
W. Hunter Old is a partner at Heath, Overbey, Verser & Old, P.L.C. He has been in private practice for more than 15 years, more than 12 of which have been in service to the Peninsula and Tidewater regions. He has maintained a varied civil litigation practice throughout that time, and presently focuses on litigation matters involving aviation, residential and commercial construction, contested estates and trusts and real property disputes.
A resident of Williamsburg, Hunter serves on the boards of several local non-profit organizations. He also has held every officer position in the Williamsburg Bar Association, and is a past Chairman of the Virginia State Bar’s Special Committee on Bench-Bar Relations. He also represents the 9th Judicial District (which includes Williamsburg/James City County, York County/Poquoson, Gloucester, Charles City, King William and Mathews) on the Council of the Virginia State Bar. He regularly accepts referrals from other attorneys and former and existing clients, but looks for new opportunities as well.
Hunter was in the U.S. Army Reserves for 14 years as an aviator and officer, and flew both UH-1s (Hueys) and CH-47s (Chinooks). He was deployed to Kuwait in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, where he served as a company commander in 2003-04. He holds a commercial, rotary-wing pilot’s license with instrument rating.
Areas of Practice
- Aviation (Litigation and Regulatory Matters)
- Construction Litigation (Residential and Commercial)
- Real Property Litigation
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
George Mason University School of Law, Arlington, Virginia
- JD, 1998
- George Mason American Inn of Court – Student Bar President
- Moot Court Member
College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia
- BA (English Literature), 1991
- U.S. Army, Initial Entry Rotary-Wing Aviator Course, Fort Rucker, Alabama, 1992
Honors and Awards
- Pro Se Law Clerk, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia (Alexandria Division), 1998 – 1999
- Virginia State Bar, Bar Council Representative for 9th Circuit, 2014 – Present
- Virginia State Bar, Special Committee on Bench-Bar Relations, Member, 2011 – Present (Chair, 2013 – 2015)
- Williamsburg Bar Association, Immediate Past President (President, 2012 – 2014)
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association, 2009 – Present
- International Air and Transportation Safety Bar Association, 2010 – Present
- Virginia Aerospace Business Association, Board Member, 2014 - Present
- Williamsburg/James City County Community Action Agency, Board Member, 2013 – Present
- Housing Partnerships, Inc., Secretary, 2009 – Present
- Williamsburg Symphonia, Board Member, 2010 – 2014
- Youth Aeronautics Education Foundation, Board Member, 2010 – 2013
- Alzheimer’s Association, Southeast Chapter, Board Member, 2006 - 2009