Shawn William Overbey
Shawn Overbey, a partner at Heath, Overbey, Verser & Old, P.L.C., has a natural passion for litigation. He understands that people are often overwhelmed when confronted with serious legal issues, which is why he has adopted the philosophy that both candor and compassion should be at the forefront of his practice. This has allowed him to assist thousands of clients with a wide range of legal matters.
Mr. Overbey is also a member of the United States Army Reserve. Having spent 26 years in the military, he has worked in a myriad of units—ranging from JAG to basic training units. While he has received numerous awards over the span of his career, he was most proud to receive the Douglas MacArthur Leadership Award. This award is only given to the top six officers in the U.S. Army Reserve.
Shawn is also active in his church, where he currently serves as the co-chair of the Christian Education Department. He applies the Golden Rule of “do unto others as you would have them do unto you” in all aspects of his life—including in the way that he treats his clients. He is also an avid sports fan, and enjoys coaching youth basketball teams in his spare time.
Areas of Practice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Virginia, 1996
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 1996
William and Mary Law School, Williamsburg, Virginia
- J.D. - 1996
William & Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia
- B.A. - 1992
- Major: History
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Peninsula Bar Association, President, 2001 - 2007
- American Inns of Court, I'Anson Hoffman Chapter, Master, 2000 - 2012
- Newport News Bar Association, 2005 - 2008
- Hampton Bar Association, 2000 - 2005
- CASA GAL of the Year
- Colonial Criminal Justice Board, 2009 – Present
- United Way Advisory Board, 2007
- Top Lawyers in Coastal Virginia by Coastal Virginia Magazine, 2015
Pro Bono Activities
- Antioch Improvement Ministries, Inc.