Request A Consultation
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
    Please select an option.
Injured in a Car Accident?

Newport News Car Accident Attorney

Maximize Your Compensation - Call Us Today (888) 599-4090

A car wreck can cause serious problems in a person's life. Your injuries can prevent you from working and supporting yourself and your family. In these times, you need a lawyer who is able to help you obtain full and fair compensation for your medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering.

When you entrust your case to our legal team, you can be confident that you have made the right choice:

  • You Don't Pay Legal Fees Unless We Win
  • Top-Rated Legal Team
  • History Of Success
  • Millions Of Dollars Recovered
  • Backed By 65+ Years’ Experience
  • AV Preeminent® Rated By Martindale-Hubbell®

At Heath, Old & Verser, P.L.C., we have earned a reputation for delivering results to seriously injured people. Our Newport News car accident lawyers offer valuable experience, committed preparation and candid counsel to every client.

Meet Your Car Accident Attorneys

Leonard Heath

Hunter Old Hunter Old

How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit?Car After an Accident

Car accident lawsuits in Virginia are subject to various "statutes of limitations" which set strict time limits on how long you have to file a civil claim against the at-fault driver. The amount of time you have to file a lawsuit will vary depending on the circumstances of your crash and the extent of injuries involved. Since compliance with these legal deadlines can make or break your case, it is crucial to act fast and retain strong legal counsel as soon as possible after a collision.

  • For injury lawsuits related to car accidents, you must file within two years of the date of the accident.
  • For property damage lawsuits, you must file within five years of the accident.
  • For wrongful death lawsuits, you must file within two years of the accident victim's death.

It is important to note that these time limits do not apply to insurance claims after your accident; you will need to inform either your insurance company or the at-fault driver's insurer of the crash within a "reasonable amount of time," which is usually interpreted as a few days after the crash.

Is Virginia A No Fault State For Car Accidents?

Virginia is a “fault” state as regards car insurance and liability following a car accident, meaning your first avenue for recovering compensation is through your own insurer. You also have the option of pursuing compensation by filing a claim against the party you believe to be liable for the accident.

If you have been injured in a car accident, knowing how fault and liability work can go a long way in recovering the financial damages you may be entitled to.

Contributory Negligence in Virginia

Importantly, Virginia also practices “contributory fault” for car accidents, meaning if you are found to have shared some measure of fault no matter how small, you could be unable to recover any compensation. Thus, you cannot seek compensation from another driver if you were in any way responsible for the accident.

While many other states have adopted a more forgiving version of this law known as "comparative negligence," Virginia's strict "pure contributory negligence" statute requires the other driver to be 100% at fault for the collision or you can't recover any damages. This is where a Newport News car accident attorney can step in to evaluate your case, and if necessary argue on your behalf against sharing any part of the blame.

What is My Auto Accident Claim Worth?

Injured clients often want to know what their claim is worth. Most of our clients are still in the recovery process when we first meet with them. The fact is, until your physician declares that you have reached a point of maximum medical recovery (MMR), there is no way to accurately determine what your case is worth. Any lawyer who would tell you otherwise is doing you, and your injury claim, a disservice. To get an idea of the value of pursuing an injury claim view some of our previous car accident case results.

Cases We Handle

Our firm can help you with the following car accident cases:

  • Distracted Driving
    o Distracted driving is becoming more and more common in today’s fast-paced society. If you or a loved one has been injured in a distracted driving accident learn more about your rights and how our team can help you today.
  • Drunk Driving Accidents
    o There is never an excuse for driving under the influence of alcohol. Learn about your rights today. Our team is ready to fight for the justice you deserve giving you time to focus on the most important thing, recovering from your injuries.
  • Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Claims
    o If you have suffered injuries in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, you still have options! Learn about your rights and how our firm can help you recover compensation by reading our Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Claims page today.

Common Car Accident Injuries

A car does not have to be going fast to cause a serious accident and leave you suffering from major injuries. Injuries sustained in a car accident depend on many variables such as the speed of the vehicles involved and how the impact occurred.

The most common types of injuries caused by car accidents include:

  • Back injuries - The cushion-like disks which lay between each vertebrae can be injured in a car accident, leaving victims with difficulty breathing, tingling, numbness, and even paralysis. These cushions form joints which let you bend and move. Damaging them can also result in painful swelling and stiffness in the back.
  • Brain injuries - If the brain makes impact with the skull due to a car accident, this can lead to bleeding and swelling in the brain, resulting in a concussion and brain trauma. This can end up leaving the victim with speech, memory, or concentration problems, and even brain damage.
  • Facial injuries - A person’s face can be seriously hurt in a car accident, even if their airbag properly deploys. The airbag itself can sometimes break people’s noses or other facial bones. The head striking the dashboard or window can result in scarring and disfigurement.
  • Neck injuries - As with the back, discs between vertebrae can move, tear, or rupture in an accident, causing pain, weakness, or numbness.
  • Psychological trauma - The emotional trauma that can come with any serious accident can be detrimental to a person’s ability to work, socialize, and live their lives as they did prior to the accident.

Common Car Accident FAQs

Do I Have to Reimburse My Medical Insurance Company?

This is a question sometimes unanswered by lawyers not experienced in handling car accident injury claims. The fact is, if medical insurance liens are not handled properly, they could cost you thousands of dollars in the future. Rest assured that we will handle your claim completely, including resolving these potential lien issues (short of litigation).

Some medical insurance companies and other third parties may assert a lien or right of reimbursement from your settlement or verdict proceeds when they really have no legal right to do so. We know the right questions to ask in these circumstances to protect your interests and your recovery. Do not put your future financial stability on the line, call us today at (888) 599-4090!

Can I File A Car Accident Claim After Insurance Pays?

Since most insurance companies include in car accident settlements that the amount in compensation agreed upon will be the only money paid, once you agree to a settlement amount it’s usually difficult to recover any further compensation. Whether or not you have signed an agreement it’s important to speak to an attorney about your case to learn about your options.

Do You Handle Claims Against Drunk Drivers?

Yes we do. These cases demand not only compensation, but justice. Under certain circumstances, injured parties are entitled to not only compensatory damages, but also punitive damages designed to punish or make an example of the drunk driver. Heath, Old & Verser, PLC can pursue all remedies available to you.

We Know How the Other Side Operates

Prior to representing injured people, attorneys Len Heath and Joe Verser represented insurance companies. This experience gives us an insight into the tactics and strategies insurance companies employ, both in and out of the courtroom. Always keep in mind that the adjuster calling you after an accident is employed to minimize or deny your claim. That is their job. Our job is to assist you in properly preparing your case to maximize a fair and adequate recovery for your injuries.

We represent the seriously injured in Newport News and throughout Virginia. Contact our office today and to speak with one of our attorneys about how your injury has impacted your life.

Don't Just Take Our Word for It

Hear From Our Past Clients
  • “Their competence and skill demonstrated through the trial was nothing short of perfect. ”


  • “When you really need help !!! You need to contact Joe Verser.”


  • “His experience and attention to detail impressed me as he meticulously built my case.”


  • “I highly recommend this law firm.”


  • “We would highly recommend Len to anyone in need of legal services.”


  • “One of the best!!!”


  • “This firm goes above and beyond!”


  • “Thank you Mr. Heath and Val for everything you have done for me and my family over the years!”


  • “Thanks Mr. Heath and your wonderful staff for ALL you've done.”


  • “Words cannot fully describe what an amazing attorney and advocate you will have in hiring Shawn Overbey.”


  • “Joe Verser has been our lawyer for many years.”


  • “Hunter Old and his team were focused, professional and achieved positive results, quickly.”


  • “I will be sure to recommend your firm to all.”


  • “He gets an A+ from me.”


  • “Shawn is a great lawyer”


  • Super Lawyers Rising Stars
  • Coastal Virginia Mag Top Lawyers
  • Virginia Business Legal Elite
  • Avvo 10.0 Superb Rating
  • Super Lawyers
  • Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent

Our Commitment to Clients

  • Tough courtroom advocacy
  • Results-driven legal strategies
  • Candid and informative counsel
  • Prompt and personlized communication
  • Creative strategies tailored to your needs
  • Thorough examination and investigation of your legal situation